Last updated: April 13, 2022
This Website Privacy Notice applies to visitors (“Visitor”, “you”) to The California Dream: Advancing Solutions for Our Shared Future (the “Website”), which is operated by the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, LLC (“CZI,” “we,” “us”). CZI is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology, community-driven solutions, and collaboration to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease, to improving education, to building community and affordable housing solutions.
CZI is committed to protecting your online privacy. This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use, and share personal information about you when you visit the Website, receive an email from us, or anywhere we gather information from you and refer you to this Privacy Notice. It also explains the choices that you have regarding this information. If you don’t agree with this Privacy Notice, do not access or use the Website.
We have done our best to write this Privacy Notice in simple and clear terms. We have also added summaries below each section that provide short explanations of the legal language in plain English (it starts with ‘Summary:” to aid in understanding, but they are not legally binding.
1. Data We Collect
When you visit the Website, we collect the following personal information (collectively, “Website Visitor Information”):
(a) From You
We collect certain information from you when you provide it to us directly. For example, when you sign up to receive our newsletter or to download resources, you provide us with your first and last name, and your email address. If you email us with a support request or comments at an email address published on our Website, you may provide us with information so that we can respond, such as your contact information and a description of the issue.
(b) From Your Browser or Device
Whenever you use any online service, certain information gets created and logged automatically; the same is true when you visit our Website. Here’s what we collect:
- Log. When you visit our Website (whether on your computer or on a mobile device), we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes IP addresses, the Internet Service Provider, referring/exit pages, date/time stamps, clickstream data, login/logout times, and duration of time spent on our Website.
- Device. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device you’re using to access the Website; this includes the type of device, browser type, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data that helps us understand when something goes wrong.
- Pixels. We also use pixels: a type of technology placed on a website or within the body of an email for the purpose of tracking certain activity, such as views of a website or when an email is opened. Pixels are often used in combination with cookies.
- Click-through URLs. If you receive newsletters, updates, or other information from us, our emails may use a “click-through URL” linked to content on our sites. When you click one of these URLs, they pass through a separate web server before arriving at the destination page on our sites. We use this click-through data to help us understand how recipients respond to, or interact with, our emails. If you prefer not to be tracked in this way, please do not click text or graphic links in emails you receive from us.
Summary: When you visit our website or receive an email from us, we collect certain information. This includes information you give us directly, such as your first and last name; information provided from your browser or device, like log data and cookies. You may be able to have your browser block or delete cookies, but some parts of the Website may not work properly as a result.
2. Use of Your Data
CZI does not sell, rent or lease your personal personal information to others. We use your information for the following business purposes only:
(a) Website Visitor Information
We use the personal information we collect about visitors to our Website as follows:
- To provide and maintain the Website. We use the information we collect to provide or serve our Website, and maintain and improve the Website, including understanding the content that Visitors find valuable.
- To provide information you’ve requested. We use the contact information you provide to deliver our newsletter or to inform you or new or related resources and services.
- To communicate with you. We may also use your information to directly communicate with you about your use of the Website or to respond to an email or submission from you.
(b) Other Service Information
We use information from third-party online services like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Bitly, and LinkedIn (collectively, “Other Services”) to understand the particular materials that we posted or linked to that users of those Other Services found most valuable and to inform our outreach efforts.
Our Website does not include advertisements for third-party goods and services. However, we may use advertising to promote the products, programs, and services that we provide and/or support. Subject to your settings, we may use your email address or cookies to direct ads for our own programs to you on third-party sites, including on Other Services.
Summary: We take your privacy seriously. We do not sell, rent, or lease your personal information to others. In limited cases, we might use your personal information for certain business purposes—such as contacting you to provide you information that you’ve requested, or helping us understand which parts of the website are most valuable. We do not advertise third-party goods or services, but may advertise our programs on other websites.
3. Sharing Your Data
Except in the instances listed below, we will not disclose your personal information to others unless you consent to it, nor will we ever sell your personal information to advertisers or other third parties. However, we share your information in the following ways:
(a) Third Party Service Providers
CZI works with vendors, service providers, and other partners that help us provide the Website by supplying services on our behalf. These services are, for example, sending emails, performing statistical analysis, database management services, database hosting, providing customer support software, and security. In the course of providing these services, our service providers may have access to your information, including personal information.
(b) Legal and Safety Reasons
We may disclose information if we believe in good faith that it’s necessary (i) in connection with any legal investigation; (ii) to comply with relevant laws or to respond to subpoenas or warrants served on us; (ii) to protect or defend our rights or property or users of our Services or others; and/or (iv) to investigate or assist in preventing any violation of the law.
(c) CZI Entities
We may share your information with our affiliates, in which case we will require them to honor this Privacy Notice. “Affiliates” refers to entities controlled by CZI and does not include Meta for purposes of this policy; CZI and Meta are independent entities.
(d) Reorganization, Sale or Merger
We may share your information in connection with a merger, reorganization, or sale of all or a portion of our organization or assets related to CZI. In the event of a merger, reorganization or sale of assets, the buyer or other successor entity will continue to be bound by the terms of this Privacy Notice.
Summary: We will never share your personal information without your consent. We may share your information in limited ways with the following parties:
- Third-party service providers that help us operate the Website.
- Law enforcement, in response to a legal request.
- Related entities that are required to follow this Privacy Notice.
- Any new owners of the Website (Note: if this happens, you’ll be able to opt-out if the new owner does not follow this Privacy Notice).
4. Your Choices Regarding Your Data.
You can opt out from communications with CZI at any time via the link in emails from us. You may update your preferences or request to unsubscribe from our mailing lists by using the “Manage Preferences” link at the bottom of any email sent to a CZI mailing list. You may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting to unsubscribe.
Summary: You have control over your personal information. Please send requests to email@example.com.
5. Retention and Deletion
We will keep your information only for as long as we believe that we need it for the purpose we have collected it (as described above) or to meet legal obligations, resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our agreements with you, or fulfill your request to unsubscribe from further messages from us. When your information is no longer needed, we will destroy or de-identify it.
Summary: We only keep personal information for as long as it’s necessary to provide the Website. In certain cases, we may need to keep personal information if the law requires a different duration, for safety reasons, or to meet our obligations to you.
6. California Residents
(a) The CCPA gives consumers who are residents of California the right to request the following information about the personal information that a business has collected in the past 12 months:
Information about Data Collection.
- The categories of personal information that have been collected.
- The specific pieces of personal information that have been collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which we have collected personal information.
- The business purpose for which we have collected personal information.
Information about Data Disclosure.
The categories of third parties with whom personal information has been shared.
The categories of personal information that we have disclosed for a business purpose.
(b) We have described in fuller detail in this Privacy Notice the personal information that we collect, how we use and disclose it, but provide the following additional disclosure:
- Information we collect. We have collected the following categories of personal information within the past 12 months: (1) identifiers; and (2) internet or other similar network activity.
- Sources of information. We obtain these categories of personal information directly and indirectly from activity on www.chanzuckerberg.com and from Other Services. For example, from the sign-up form for our newsletter and website usage details collected automatically.
- Purposes of disclosure. We disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes: (1) to provide you with information you request from us; (2) to operate, de-bug and improve our Website and contents as described in more detail in this Privacy Notice; (3) to protect against malicious or fraudulent activity on our Website and prevent security incidents; and (4) to advertise our own products and services as described in Section 2.
(c) To request any of the above information, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in your request sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify that you are the person about whom we collected personal information. Please note that we do not sell your personal data, and that CZI will not discriminate against you in any way based on your exercise of these rights.
California residents have the right to request information about the personal data we collect. Requests should be sent to email@example.com.
In addition to the details outlined in this Privacy Notice, below you’ll find additional disclosure and summary around the personal information we collect:
- Over the past 12 months we’ve collected certain personal information visitors in order to provide the Website and services.
- We collect this personal information both from direct and indirect sources.
- We may disclose personal information for select business purposes, such as to protect against fraudulent activity or to debug our website.
7. Other Important Information
(a) Security of Your Information
Security of personal data is important to us. We implement security safeguards designed to protect your personal data, including reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal data from unauthorized access,use, alteration and destruction. Despite these efforts, we cannot guarantee that your data may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by a breach of any of our physical, technical, or administrative safeguards. Please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org if you become aware of any security issues relating to our Services.
We may modify this Privacy Notice from time to time, and you can see when the last update was by looking at the “Last Updated” date at the top of this page. If we make material changes to it, we’ll provide you notice through this Privacy Notice. If you object to any changes, you may stop accessing the Website or exercise other opt-outs or rights that we provide. Your continued use of the Website after we publish a notice about changes to this Privacy Notice means that you acknowledge the updated Privacy Notice following the date it takes effect.
The Website is not designed or intended for children under 13. If we become aware that we have the information of such children collected through the Website, we will promptly delete it.
We do not endorse any actions or uses by a third party of the information provided on this Website. We assume no responsibility for, and expressly disclaim all liability for, damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on such information.
(e) Contact Information
If you have questions or complaints regarding this Privacy Notice, please contact us at email@example.com.
- We are constantly working on ways to prevent unauthorized access and misuse of personal information through administrative, physical, and technical safeguards.
- When we make material changes to this policy, we will notify you before the changes go into effect.
- This website is not designed for children under 13.
- We do not endorse or take responsibility for the use of the information we provide by any third parties.
- If you have questions about the Privacy Notice, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.